In this Whiteboard Wednesday, we show you how to put on a wetsuit for your triathlon races and open water swim training or competitions.
Read More: How To Take Off A Wetsuit In 30 Seconds
Tips To Put On Your Wetsuit
- Wetsuit prep: Make sure you’re wearing a triathlon suit, swimsuit or swim jammers. Use anti-chafing balm around your neck, wrists, ankles, etc. Also, ensure you’re completely dry.
- Unzip your wetsuit: Roll the top down to the waist, and ensure the zipper is on the back.
- Start with your feet: Line up the stitching to be in the right alignment, and put your foot in, one at a time. Pro Tip: Use a plastic bag to make it easier to get your foot in. Pull up to your thighs, and smooth the calves.
- Pull up to your waist: Pull up from the inside of the wetsuit as much as possible, and work out the rolls.
- Pull up over your hips: Get it over your butt, and smooth out the thighs.
- Insert your arms: One at a time, then smooth out the arms and chest.
- Stretch part 1: Lower body stretch, followed by smoothing out the fabric.
- Zip it up: There is a cord at the back, which is long enough to pull up yourself, or you can have someone help you.
- Lock it up: You’ll find velcro fasteners at the back of the neck, which you close around the zipper. A friend can help you.
- Stretch part 2: Jump, walk, knee grab, and further stretching.
- Take your time
- Use gloves, or make sure you trim your fingernails
- Ensure you’re 100% dry
- Use a bag and a chair (if possible)
- Put on in the shade so you’re not sweating
Listen on Soundcloud
MyTriPro, Your Personal Triathlon Coach
You can get started in triathlon with MyTriPro, and enjoy the many health and social benefits. MyTriPro will guide you through training for your first triathlon with a dynamic coaching algorithm that includes workouts for the swim, bike, and run, plus bricks and strength training. Get personalized plans for Sprint, Olympic, 70.3 and 140.6 triathlon distances.
Get started today by downloading the MyTriPro app for iPhone today, and join the Global Triathlon group on Facebook to connect with people around the world, who are all working towards achieving their triathlon goals. Follow us on social media: Instagram, Facebook and Twitter.